Galdi Village Awarded LEEDⓇ GOLD Certification!
We are proud to announce that the Galdi Village, a place to fill earned LEED® certification!
We are proud to announce that the Galdi Village, a place to fill earned LEED® certification! The building achieved LEED® Gold certification for Building Design and Construction (BD+C) under the latest version of the program (v4), earning 65 points in the New Constructions category.
The building, an incubator of ideas and innovation located next to Galdi's headquarters, successfully passed the certification review, which recognizes the special focus on sustainability, both from an environmental and human perspective.
Let's have a look at the details.
What is LEED® certification?
LEED® stands for Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design. It's a rating system that provides an internationally recognized framework to plan, build and manage sustainable buildings.
New constructions are reviewed using a comprehensive approach to sustainability, involving the whole life cycle of the building and the entire supply chain: from architectural planning and design to energy performance, from construction project management processes to material selection.
Besides mandatory prerequisites, extra credits can be earned by fulfilling additional requirements to get a higher score and one of four levels of certification: Certified (40-49 points earned), Silver (50/59), Gold (60/79) and Platinum (80+).
LEED® Gold certification and sustainable choices
The LEED® Gold certification for the Galdi Village, a place to fill reflects our commitment to build a future-proof and planet-friendly space. Both during the planning stage and throughout the duration of the project, important issues related to the environmental impact of the building over time had to be addressed.
Here are some examples of sustainable choices we made:
- Selected materials are high in pre- and post-consumer recycled content and low in VOC (volatile organic compounds)
- Construction waste was disposed of by licensed waste disposal companies, which provided the percentage of recycled waste for each type of material
- Construction site operational plans were based on sustainable criteria with attention paid to workers
- Light pollution reduction
- Reduction and monitoring of electricity and water consumption
- 100% renewable energy
- Solar and PV panels for renewable energy production
The initial in-depth analysis, including design choices and the selection of materials and systems, will now be followed by ongoing monitoring to make sure that the high standards achieved are maintained over time.
Human-Friendly and Future-Proof
Galdi Village, a place to fill: the name says it all: our initial goal was to fill this space with ideas and innovation. We wanted it to be open to staff, customers and local businesses.
People of course are at the very heart of this vision!
Occupants' well-being informed the choices we made:
- Plenty of natural daylight and views to the outside
- Several relax and networking areas
- Seasonal cuisine and focus on raw materials
- Thermal (temperature and humidity control) and lighting comfort
- Mechanical ventilation system with high capacity filters for better indoor air quality
- Staff questionnaire after a few months in the new building to assess comfort satisfaction levels and other factors
We therefore hope that the Galdi Village, a place to fill will become a fertile ground for ideas, innovation and sustainability, making Galdi and our community grow and thrive.
This is our goal!