Circular Economy, the Galdi Way
As manufacturers of filling machines, we ourselves have embraced the values of circular economy by reducing waste and optimizing our use of resources of any kind.
All the initiatives on sustainability implemented by Galdi over the years – most notably the Eco Design project, in collaboration with the researchers of the University of Padua (C.U.R.A.: Applied Research University Consortium) – are part of our wider effort to reduce our environmental impact on every level.
In line with our continuous improvement philosophy, our ambitious goal is being translated into small steps forward, year after year.
CIRCULAR ECONOMY APPLIED TO RECYCLED CARTON
Every year, during our on-site tests we produce on average 35 tonnes of scrap carton. What used to be a waste and a cost has now been turned into a valuable asset.
Thanks to the technology developed by Lucart, our polylaminate scraps are transformed into recycled paper for internal use.
Here are the various phases of the circular process:
- The carton scraps from testing are crushed and packaged, while the recycled liquids from the crushing phase are filtered and reused, too.
- The carton is collected and shipped to the recycling plant, generating 50% of saved stocking space and reducing transport expenses to zero.
- Cartons are recycled by separating cellulose fibres, which are then recycled into paper, from aluminium and polyethylene, which Lucart turns into dispensers.
- The recycled paper is used for napkins, toilet paper and kitchen paper for Galdi’s internal use.
TESTING OF FILLERS: -42% WATER CONSUMPTION
Among the procedures carried out at our plant, the testing of our fillers is the one with the highest water footprint.
The improved layout of our assembly bays and the optimization of our supply, filtering and retrieval systems have helped decrease our overall annual water consumption from 1380 to 796 cubic metres.
Such considerable improvements were made possible by a closed circuit, which filters water and puts it back into circulation.
GALDI FILLING MACHINES: A SECOND LIFE FOR THE ENVIRONMENT
For some time now Galdi has also offered its Clients the chance to purchase and sell second-hand filling machines. Indeed, the recovery of existing machines brings the environmental footprint of their disposal down to zero, with significant savings for our Clients and minimum impact on the environment.
By selling your second-hand Galdi filling machine you save money (as transport expenses are on us!) and cut down the environmental footprint of its disposal.
On the other hand, if you intend to buy a second-hand filler, you will receive a regenerated and updated machine with a long life cycle ahead.
FROM LEAN TO GREEN
Every year, we at Galdi manage to reduce its environmental impact even inside our production plant thanks to Lean. Credit goes to our whole team and our eco-friendly choices.
Here are some examples:
- We recycle 97.5% of our trash, thanks to the attention of our office and production staff.
- Our fillers’ cleaning clothes are collected and regenerated by a specialized company that washes them, avoiding the spreading of toxic substances, and sends them back to Galdi.
- Our machines under review are washed using an enzyme-based parts washer, which does not require aggressive detergents, does not produce liquid waste, nor does it release toxic emissions.
- Our photovoltaic plant fully covers the energy requirements of our production unit and puts into circulation an amount of clean energy corresponding to 61 families.
- 100% of the energy we buy is green and comes exclusively from renewable sources.
- Our gas supplier fully compensates our carbon footprint through environment protection projects.
Our technical team will be happy to share ideas and actions to promote sustainability.